All Barista Camp 'coffeetalks' - by speakers such as Scott Rao, Maxwell Colonna-Dashwood and Rina Paguaga - were recorded by our media partner European Coffee Trip. We'll be releasing the videos of these talks over the next months so we keep fuelling discussion and building an inventory of knowledge. Don't hesitate to add your comments here, or on our Youtube channel.
It is always an honour and pleasure to bring industry leaders, who've earned their stripes through years of hard work, research and investment, in front of an eager audience. We were delighted to bring Scott Rao to the Barista Camp stage for the second consecutive year, giving the attendees an incredible opportunity to learn from one of the most important voices for the barista and overall coffee community. Scott Rao is an author and consultant with over 20 years of experience in the coffee industry. Scott has owned several cafes and roasting businesses, but we all know him as the author of no-less than four professional-level books about coffee making, including The Professional Barista's Handbook and The Coffee Roaster's Companion. They're reference works for every barista who's looking for practical, detailed and scientific yet straightforward advice and tips on brewing and roasting coffee.
After his 2014 Barista Camp talk on the basics of roasting, we brought Scott back for a presentation on extraction, the buzz-word of the last couple of years. He deep-dives into the theory of extraction, but also discusses how to use a refractometer and the benefits of measuring coffee extraction. He also dedicates a fair bit of his talk to batch-brewing, how we can make it as tasty as manual brew and how it can help us keep up with customers' demand for a consistently delicious yet quickly delivered cup of coffee!
As usual, scroll down for additional reading links, and don't hesitate to add your comments!
Further reading and watching
- VST:WTF Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3, Matt Perger, The Barista Hustle, 2015.
- 19.1% is the new 20.0%, Nick Cho, 2012.
- Espresso: Why you hate it and how to fix it, Ben Kaminsky, Nordic Roaster Forum, 2013.
- Batch Brew Curious, Jeremy Challender, Prufrock, 2015.
- Coffee Extraction and How to Taste It, Matt Perger, The Barista Hustle, 2015.
- The Coffee Compass, Matt Perger, The Barista Hustle, 2016.
- The Espresso Compass, Matt Perger, The Barista Hustle, 2016. (We heart The Hustle, if you haven't subscribed to this weekly dose of useful advice and practical tips, you really should!)