BGE and its activities are designed to build a professional barista community, regardless of location or membership of any organisation, but in order to make a voting system work, we need to have a system of determining what makes a member and what allows them to vote.
BGE was created to serve the needs of a core area of it’s membership: the barista community. SCA realised that a vehicle that allowed baristas themselves to determine the scope and activities of this organisation would assist the growth of a stronger coffee community. While our event financing comes from sponsorship and ticket revenue, our operational costs are funded from SCA's membership budget.
How to become a BGE member?
We have set the following criteria to determine BGE membership:
- If you, personally, are a SCA member (Barista/Professional Individual categories), your BGE membership is automatically included in your SCA membership.
- If you currently work for a SCA company member, and you are registered as a secondary member, you have the possibility to opt-in via your company representative. So, find out who that is within your company and tell them to let us know you want to be a BGE member!
- If you currently work for a SCA company member, but your company exceeded the amount of secondary members, you have the opportunity to personally join SCAE with a 25% discount to become an individual member, which will automatically include your BGE membership
- If you or your company are not yet a member of SCAE and you would like to join BGE, registering for SCA barista membership will automatically include your BGE membership.
If you're unsure what category your SCA membership is, please email email@example.com to find out!
On top of all the benefits that are included in a SCA membership - such as the eligibility to compete, discounts to CDS courses, a free ticket to World of Coffee, and access to research - BGE members have a true voice in their Barista Guild, and the direction it takes in the future. BGE membership benefits include the following:
- The right to vote for your BGE Working Group representatives.
- The opportunity to lead the direction of BGE by standing for election to the Working Group, and representing the barista community.
- Discounts to BGE educational and community-building events, such as Barista Camp and CoLab. If you attend two events a year, or one event and a CDS course, your membership pretty much pays for itself!